1. Dreamcatchers, because nothing communicates to society that you’ve got both cultural and economical capital like a inauthentic dreamcatcher dangling from the rearview mirror of your Mercedes.
2. When we remind their GOP relatives that English is also a foreign language.
3. Spirit animals – are you the wolverine?
4. Casinos, though there is a troubling number of non-Natives capitalizing on Indian casinos.
5. Our luscious locks. “I wish I had your hair!” is something a white person should never utter to a Native American.
6. Jason Momoa, that’s if piercing eyes, a fit body and a manly disposition is your thing. Pfft.
7. When we remind their bigoted cousins that they, in fact, are the descendants of illegal immigrants. (Note: I wholeheartedly disagree with the part of this meme which refers to the indigenous peoples of the south as immigrants.)
8. “Those colorful costumes!” (Um. No. The term ‘regalia’ is more appropriate here, folks.)
9. Our soothing flute music, which, thanks to more cultural appropriation, is now called “meditation sound therapy.”
10. Indigenous names, because let’s face it: Wilma Mankiller, the first female Chief of the Cherokees, has the best and most appropriate name out there today.