MANAGING EDITOR, Tribal College Journal
The American Indian Higher Education Consortium (AIHEC) is seeking a full-time managing editor for the Tribal College Journal (TCJ), our award-winning national quarterly magazine based in Mancos, CO (near Durango). The ideal candidate is an innovative and creative self-starter with several years’ experience writing and editing for magazines or newspapers (or a combination of experience and education). First-rate writing and editing skills and proven abilities to organize, inspire, and deliver are required. Strong skills in digital media are important as well as experience with American Indian contemporary issues. The managing editor reports directly to the TCJ publisher.
- Work closely with the Tribal College Journal publisher, staff, & consultants to plan and develop each quarterly issue and guide it to completion.
- Solicit new writing, photographs and graphics.
- Research and write articles as necessary.
- Edit articles for compelling copy.
- Manage freelance writers, copy editors, and proof readers. Ensure quality, accuracy, and timeliness of work. Ensure that all deadlines are met.
- Provide editorial support as needed for special projects, including special supplements, direct mail brochures, fund-raising letters, grant proposals and website content.
- Travel to conferences and meetings.
- Help plan and implement the future vision of TCJ as we move more aggressively into digital journalism.
To apply submit a resumé, a cover letter explaining why you are the person for this position, and work product samples, via email to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Position announcement closes November 12.
After 23 years, the Tribal College Journal is one of the most respected publications in the Native American education field and is poised to fill a unique niche in the digital media market. Published by the American Indian Higher Education Consortium, TCJ covers the 37 tribal colleges in the United States, their students, and American Indian higher education issues. See www.tribalcollegejournal.org/jobs for more information.