The Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa is currently recruiting for a Lead Prosecutor.
The Lead Prosecutor is responsible for the representation of the Meskwaki Nation in all criminal, child dependency and Indian Child Welfare proceedings brought in the name of the Tribe, including arraignments, motions, trial and appeals.
Salary: Dependent upon Qualifications
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Determines, in his or her discretion, whether to bring criminal charges on behalf of the Tribe
- Serves as presenting officer in child dependency matters filed in the Tribe’s Court
- Represents the Tribe in Indian Child Welfare cases
- Represents the Tribe on civil infraction allegations in the Tribal Court
- Represents the Tribe in any other matter as directed by the Tribal Council
- Establishes a working relationship with local, state and federal jurisdictions
- Established a protocol for coordinating criminal investigations and prosecution with local, state and federal jurisdictions
- Works in conjunction with the Tribe’s police force to establish, implement, review and modify prosecutorial policies and priorities
- Conducts legal research and prepares matters for trial.
- Drafts ordinances, code revisions, and resolutions
- Be available twenty four hours a day, seven days per week for phone calls from officers of the Meskwaki Nation Police Department
- Provide advice to the Meskwaki Nation Police Department regarding day-to-day operations
- Provide supervision of Tribal Court Advocate
- Comply with all ethical and professional codes applicable to the legal profession and all federal, state and tribal laws relating to or regulating the practice of law
- Other duties as assigned or required by the Tribal Council
- J.D. Degree from an ABA accredited law school and 3 years’ experience preferred in criminal prosecution and/or defense
- Must be admitted to practice, and in good standing, in any state and eligible to be admitted in Meskwaki Tribal Court. Prefer admission in or ability to be admitted in Iowa Bar.
- Skill in legal research, writing and analysis.
- Knowledge of legal principles, practices and proceedings.
- Prior legal experience in areas of criminal prosecution and/or defense in Indian Country desirable.
- Must have litigation experience and familiarity with federal, state, and local court rules and procedures.
- Must be able to interpret and apply case law, codes, ordinances and administrative rules.
- Must be committed to concepts of tribal sovereignty, self-government and Indian self-determination.
Please submit your application/resume by October 19th, 2012.
Please contact: Azadeh Tavakoli via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a resume or fax to (641) 484-8478.
Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa
349 Meskwaki Road
Tama, IA 52339