Whitewater Effigy Mounds Preserve, formally known as Indians Mound Park, is located in Whitewater, Wisconsin. The preserver was the former home of the Potawatomi people, who had moved there after being displaced.
The Effigy Mounds were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. This site is a prehistoric American Indian burial site, dating between 200 and 1000 AD.
Restoration efforts have begun in earnest, with attempts at returning the park to its original state. A presentation on the importance and history of Whitewater’s oldest archeological site will be given on Saturday, May 28, at 1:00pm at the Whitewater Effigy Mound Preserve, followed by a tour of the mounds.
The preserve is located at 288 S. Indian Mounds Parkway in Whitewater. For more information, click here.