The fourth session of Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (EMRIP) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from July 11 – 15.
Some of the issues that were addressed during EMRIP were:
- Legal Bases of the Right of Indigenous Peoples to participate in decision-making
- Advancing Dialogue on Treaties, Agreements and Other Constructive Arrangements between States and Indigenous Peoples with the UN System
- Indigeous People’s Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property
- Implementation of the EMRIP Recommendations on the Right to Education
- Free Prior and Informed Consent – Difficulties and Successes of and with Trans-national Corporations
- Community Governance and Stewardship of Traditional Territories and Biocultural Diversity: The Politics of Recognition, Rights and Responsibilities
In the attached video Sandra Miller, Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement, on behalf of Indigenous Peoples Organization members delivers her statement at EMRIP.